Friday, March 22, 2024

A very long time ago, I had a diary. What a comfort it was to have a way to write down my most intimate thoughts. to share the secrets that I didn't have the courage to share with anyone else. I used my diary to express my fears, celebrate my triumphs and endless hopes. My diary collected my tears but at the same time, it held my joys. Today, instead of a diary, I have a journal. Actually, I have a ton of journals. While my journals don't resemble my good and faithful diary, I have the same excitement as I write in my journal. I share most of the same things that I did in my diary so many years ago. Here's where my thoughts switch though...

Diaries, journals are being used every single day by millions of people. Every second, every hour, someone is writing in their diary- sharing their their innermost thoughts, hopes, dreams, fears. These are personal, intimate yet today I found myself thinking- When did we as people begin sharing our personal diary with the world?  My childhood diary had a lock on it. It was easy to pick, but it felt secure somehow. Today, people don't lock their personal diary or journal. Social media yields open access to every thought, fear, emotion and sometimes shares things that not everyone needs to know. So when do we use discretion and stop allowing total access with the world? Yes, there are many amazing messages that help people every day. There are also messages that cause harm. I'm not anti social media. I believe that we need to measure our words, think before we share and truly consider who it is that we're sharing our message with. And sometimes, listen to that voice that says, "Don't post this..." If you cherish and safeguard your diary thoughts, use the same caution and safeguard your social media thoughts. Sometimes your personal and private thoughts are meant to remain- intimate and for your heart only. I'm just saying...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment