Friday, February 2, 2024


Once upon a time... Oh how I used to love hearing or reading those words. Those words usually meant that the story would begin with a heart-gripping situation, (Think Cinderella sweeping cinders at the demands of her cruel stepmother.) Then, the story would be laced with magical possibilities mixed in. (Cinderella attending the beautiful, lavish ball) Next would be the wonderment and anticipation of what would happen next. Would true happiness be found? Finally, the inconceivable but hoped-for would occur. (The glass slipper fit Cinderella then, she and the Prince lived happily ever after.) At this point, I would sigh and wish that dreams really did come true. But, sometimes real life can actually mirror those creative, hard-to-believe fairytales.

God authored my fairytale story with my husband of almost 40 years. We met 45 years ago. I was a skinny, awkward insecure teenager and he was a shy but daring boy with a smile. He had the courage to approach me on the second day of school with a note that said, "You don't know me but my name is..." He went on to tell me that he liked me, which was pretty amazing since we had never even spoken to each other, let alone, met face to face. Then, the gripping part of his note. . . he asked if I would 'go with him'. I was flattered. My heart did a little flutter thing. I replied to his note and reminded him that we didn't know each other, but still I was touched by the fact that this guy knew what (who) he wanted, and was brave enough to let me know.

As fairytales go, awkward girl and gangly guy did go together. The school year was filled with lot's more, sweetly written notes, hour long phone conversations, cookie-grams and him predicting that one day we would marry and have kids. (He held a God-ordained vision that would eventually be fulfilled.)  I share all of this because I believe in fairytales. I believe that happily-ever-afters can happen. I believe in the beauty and pathway of finding true love. Most of all, I wholeheartedly believe that He is the author and creator of our story. 

Today, I still believe in fairytales. I've seen the impossible work in my life on a kajillion occasions. I've seen God orchestrate a well-defined plan for my life. While the bumps and bruises along the way weren't pleasant, I recognize that through it all, He sees me, knows me and already knew that one day the awkward boy and girl would fall in love, marry and share a rich, fairytale kind of love story.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment