Thursday, August 24, 2023

Confessions of a Former Helicopter Mom

     It's not easy to admit but I used to be a helicopter mom. If you're not familiar with the term, a helicopter mom is someone who tends to hover, or is overly protective of their child or children. In their defense, helicopter moms are well meaning. They truly love their children but just can't bear to see them experience hurt, pain or discomfort. So, they will do whatever it takes to keep their children happy, content and free from pain. My struggle with being over protective came after the birth of our first born, Bria.

     Bria was a 5 pound 11 ounce bundle of colic. She cried when she was hungry, she cried when she was full. She cried if she was hot, cold, tired, wet or dry. I was so sleep-deprived after Bria was a month old that I suffered from exhaustion. Even though people told me to just let her cry, I just couldn't. I knew she was unhappy and wanted to do everything I could to take away her discomfort. Hubby and I spent a lot of sleepless nights walking and bouncing Bria until she quieted down. It became a routine for her to be held her while she slept fitfully. If she stirred I would rub or pat her back until she settled down again.

     I'd like to say that she eventually outgrew it but Bria ended up being a germ magnet and was sick quite often. She had a lot of ear infections and ended up in the hospital a few times with upper respiratory stuff. Then, the little pint size germ spreader would catch a cold or a cough and would gag until she would barf at night. So, I'd get up, clean her, the linen and settle her down again. By then, I was wide awake and usually sat up in a rocking chair to make sure she was ok.

    Don't even get me started on the middle kid or the youngest.  I took up residence at the foot of their beds or slept on the floor. In my defense, I hated being startled awake and this was a better alternative for me but not so much for them. 

    Years later, I can honestly say that my urge to hover began to release as they got older and resisted having their 'mommy' hang around prepared to whip out band aids or kleenex. I became busy with life and discovered things that kept me busy. I learned that I had a creative, crafty side. I spent more time doing what I loved and getting to know myself without guilt. Before long, I no longer felt the need to hover or check in with them. I learned to trust God in my journey of mommyhood and not allow fear or the 'what-ifs' to take control. It was a freedom that I and they needed.

    Are you a helicopter mom or a recovering helicopter mom? I'd love to hear your stories of what helped move you towards helicopter freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment